Software Developer - Scala, backend
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
When leveraging existing technologies isn't enough, you build new ones. As a Software Developer at IQVIA, you'll play a vital role in driving the design, development and deployment of new products that enable our customers to tackle some of the toughest global health problems.
While collaborating with experts across disciplines like NLP, genomics and predictive analytics, and access to IQVIA's 35+ petabytes of data, including 800+ million, non-identified, patient records, you'll help engineer the healthcare world of tomorrow, today.
- Full Time
- Level: Mid-Level
- Travel: No
What makes a Software Developer at IQVIA successful? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Our freedom to investigate, experiment and innovate forms the basis of our development approach at IQVIA.Patrick, Senior Software Developer
As soon as I started working for IQVIA, I felt welcomed, supported and cared for by both the team and the company. As someone who is not a doctor or physician, it’s great to help make a difference in people’s lives in the medical world. You cannot fail to be inspired working here.Rachel,SQL Developer
Plans designed to fit your lifestyle
Plans to help you invest in your future
Training programs to support your career growth
Teams motivated to solve problems together
Unparalleled data assets including 1M+ data feeds
Awards & Recognition
Celebrations for a job well done
Software Developer - Scala, backend
The Brighton OMOP* team is based within IQVIA’s Global Real World Solutions Technology unit. Everyone in the team has brought their own unique mix of knowledge and expertise to create a team focused on helping health data science work with big data. The team are passionate about solving real world problems and meeting our end-users needs.
Software Developer – Brighton, UK
OMOP Factory, Real World Solutions (RWS) Technology
What problems are we solving?
Currently healthcare professionals and researchers around the world spend days wading through petabytes of health data across multiple formats to discover trends and solutions that could answer some of the post pressing and complex questions in global healthcare.
Our OMOP team have created a solution that enables health professionals to access and convert health data in to a single, accurate, standardised format faster than ever before. This accuracy and speed then enable health professionals to answer those healthcare questions.
As a software developer, you will play a crucial role in developing our backend services written in Scala. You will be part of an agile scrum team, working with other Developers and Product Managers; and coordinating with similar teams in the East Coast US.
As part of the wider RWS Technology team, you will also have the opportunity to participate in regular innovation weeks, where you can show case your skills and interact with likeminded individuals in the pursuit of innovative software solutions to real world problems.
What to expect in this role
- Design, develop and deliver a new software product for the conversion of varied healthcare data sources into the standard OMOP format
- Focus on microservice design/development and big data processing using Apache Spark and Scala
- Work within a team of software developers working to deliver a web application served by microservices, big data technologies such as Spark, HDFS and Amazon components such as s3
- Create and maintain software development documentation
- Support software implementations, acting as a product expert for users
- Contribute in Agile daily stands-ups, sprint planning and retrospectives
- Work to fortnightly sprints and take part in bi-weekly demos
- Support / act as scrum master, as needed
- Support resolution of production issues
Our ideal candidate will be / have
- Strong communication skills
- Happy to collaborate, share and learn within the team
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and ready to contribute new ideas
- Strong functional programming skills
- Considerable experience working with Apache Spark
- Experience working with microservice architectures
- Experience using SQL and relational databases
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Able to provide technical leadership around the use of Apache Spark and Scala
- Enthusiastic technical leadership skills
- Desire and ability to mentor more junior members of the team
Bonus points for
- Relevant DevOps experience (Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Containerised integration testing experience
- Experience using technologies such as Elastic Stack and Apache Druid
- Experience with TypeScript, React or Redux
- Experience delivering on-premise software
- Experience in life sciences/healthcare sector
Location and travel
- Role based in IQVIA’s Brighton office, with flexibility to work from home
- Minimal travel expected to other IQVIA offices (London, East Coast US) or to attend conferences
*The Observational Medical Outcomes Partnership (OMOP) Common Data Model (CDM) enables the capture of information (e.g., encounters, patients, providers, diagnoses, drugs, measurements and procedures) in the same way across different institutions.
More details here: https://www.iqvia.com/solutions/real-world-evidence/evidence-networks/ohdsi-omop
Those who join us become part of a recognized global leader still willing to challenge the status quo to improve patient care. In RWS, you will have access to the most cutting-edge technology, the largest data sets, the best analytics tools and, in our opinion, some of the finest minds in the Healthcare industry.
You can drive your career at IQVIA and choose the path that best defines your development and success. With exposure across diverse geographies, capabilities, and vast therapeutic and information and technology areas, you can seek opportunities to change and grow without boundaries.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
IQVIA is a strong advocate of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We believe that a work environment that embraces diversity will give us a competitive advantage in the global marketplace and enhance our success. We believe that an inclusive and respectful workplace culture fosters a sense of belonging among our employees, builds a stronger team, and allows individual employees the opportunity to maximize their personal potential.
At IQVIA, we believe in pushing the boundaries of human science and data science to make the biggest impact possible – to help our customers create a healthier world. The advanced analytics, technology solutions and contract research services we provide to the life sciences industry are made possible by our 70,000+ employees around the world who apply their insight, curiosity and intellectual courage every step of the way. Learn more at jobs.iqvia.com.
Join IQVIA’s Talent Network
Let’s stay connected. Join our global Talent Network to receive alerts when new opportunities become available that match your career ambitions.Join our network