Associate Director, Software Product Development
Associate Director, Software Product Development
OMOP Factory, Real World Solutions (RWS) Technology
About our team
The Brighton OMOP team is based within IQVIA’s Global Real World Solutions Technology unit. Everyone in the team has brought their own unique mix of knowledge and expertise to create a team focused on helping health data science work with big data. The team are passionate about solving real world problems and meeting our end-users needs.
What problems are we solving?
Currently healthcare professionals and researchers around the world spend days wading through petabytes of health data across multiple formats to discover trends and solutions that could answer some of the post pressing and complex questions in global healthcare.
Our OMOP team have created a solution that enables health professionals to access and convert health data in to a single, accurate, standardised format faster than ever before. This accuracy and speed then enable health professionals to answer those healthcare questions.
As the Associate Director, Software Development, you will play a crucial role in designing and implementing the technical backbones of the platform/software. You will be part of an agile scrum team, working with other Developers and Product Managers; and coordinating with similar teams in the East Coast US.
As part of the wider RWS Technology team, you will also have the opportunity to participate in regular innovation weeks, where you can show case your skills and interact with likeminded individuals in the pursuit of innovative software solutions to real world problems.
What to expect
In this role, you will:
- Design, develop and deliver a new software product for the conversion of varied healthcare data sources into the standard OMOP format
- Working with architectures and the other leaders, lead the design of the new software product
- Ensure the design is properly implemented in all technical aspects of the new software product and meets IQVIA technical guidelines
- Provide feedback on UI/UX experience
- Develop and implement coding standards/best practice
- Ensure the proper testing framework utilized and implemented
- Review and provide guidance, where needed, on the current continuous integration and continuous deployment framework
- Focus on microservice design/development and big data processing using Apache Spark and Scala
- Work within a team of software developers working to deliver a web application served by microservices, big data technologies such as Spark, HDFS and Amazon components such as s3
- Create and maintain software development documentation
- Enforce the use of
- Support software implementations, acting as a product expert for users
- Contribute in Agile daily stands-ups, sprint planning and retrospectives
- Mentor/guide other members of the team
- Support / act as scrum master, as needed
- Support resolution of production issues
Our ideal candidate will be / have
- Experience building enterprise software applications
- Experience managing the development and deployment of software applications
- Able to provide technical leadership, especially in the use of Apache Spark and Scala
- Experience working with microservice architectures
- Experience using SQL and relational databases
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Strong functional programming skills
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiastic technical leadership skills
- Desire and ability to mentor more junior members of the team
- Happy to collaborate, share and learn within the team
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and ready to contribute new ideas
Bonus points for
- Relevant DevOps experience (Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Containerised integration testing experience
- Experience using technologies such as Elastic Stack and Apache Druid
- Experience with TypeScript, React or Redux
- Experience delivering on-premise software
- Experience in life sciences/healthcare sector
Location and travel
- Role based in IQVIA’s Brighton office
- Minimal travel expected to other IQVIA offices (London, East Coast US) or to attend conferences
The RWS Technology team mission is to deliver world-class and globally scalable technology platforms and analytics applied to complex and large-scale clinical datasets, to support IQVIA's ongoing and rapid growth in real world analytics solutions, as well as the development of new product lines. This requires global leadership across technical and data architecture, software development and data visualization, privacy management, analytical methods, data science, machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing (NLP) - building upon 100s of novel technologies and methods either published in peer-reviewed journals or patented by our team.
The solutions are delivered to a variety of clients across life-science, government, payor or provider organizations. The RWS team also curates the largest collection of de-identified real world data in the world, from different patient care settings in 18 countries worldwide – the RWS Tech team is at the forefront of "Big Data" in healthcare.
The OMOP Factory will be an enabler for reliable healthcare analytics in our industry, at a global level. Beyond the commercial value of its products and solutions, the team is also motivated by the desire to do good for humanity by improving healthcare and enabling answers that support patient well-being and safety.
Those who join us become part of a recognized global leader still willing to challenge the status quo to improve patient care. In RWS, you will have access to the most cutting-edge technology, the largest data sets, the best analytics tools and, in our opinion, some of the finest minds in the Healthcare industry.
IQVIA is a strong advocate of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We believe that a work environment that embraces diversity will give us a competitive advantage in the global marketplace and enhance our success. We believe that an inclusive and respectful workplace culture fosters a sense of belonging among our employees, builds a stronger team, and allows individual employees the opportunity to maximize their personal potential.
At IQVIA, we believe in pushing the boundaries of human science and data science to make the biggest impact possible – to help our customers create a healthier world. The advanced analytics, technology solutions and contract research services we provide to the life sciences industry are made possible by our 70,000+ employees around the world who apply their insight, curiosity and intellectual courage every step of the way. Learn more at jobs.iqvia.com.
Join IQVIA’s Talent Network
Let’s stay connected. Join our global Talent Network to receive alerts when new opportunities become available that match your career ambitions.Join our network